PDA

View Full Version : Dot to quit smoking for new ban

kayla05
02-05-2006, 17:22
Famous EastEnders smoker Dot Branning (June Brown) will be forced to give up her cigarettes when the new smoking ban comes into play.

As many pubs get ready for life without smoke, the Queen Vic will be no different, and this means that the EastEnders cast will be unable be able to light up in their local.

And because the set for the soap is a BBC workplace, there will be no smoking anywhere in the show, not even in the characters' own homes, a change which seems certain to force alterations in some roles.

Chris_2k11
02-05-2006, 17:33
I find this a bit unrealistic for Dot. Would she really be able to give up smoking after ALL these years?! :searchme: hmm... I suppose it could be done..

Richie_lecturer
02-05-2006, 17:58
What a daft idea. June should be allowed to smoke where she wants. I can't imagine her putting up with not been allowed to smoke anywhere on the set. Considering they're there sometimes for 10-12 hours a day sometimes, she'd probably find that tortuous.

Florijo
02-05-2006, 18:08
This seems stupid. Surely there should be an exemption for TV/film studios in the new law where actors can smoke if the role requires it. To have no characters being allowed to smoke in their homes is very silly.

crazygirl
02-05-2006, 19:09
yea i saw that on telly last week they were talking about dot & deidre(corro) that they will have to quit on the box

shannisrules
02-05-2006, 20:05
this sounds a bit ridiculous when is the ban anyway? who knows their acting skills may go down the pan lol

DaVeyWaVey
02-05-2006, 21:22
Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I thought it was a ban in public places anyway so i thought she could light up in her own home still, as it would be made realistic and would reflect real life. I know it's on set but it wouldn't be realistic if one day Dot was smoking and the next day she wasn't.

crazygirl
02-05-2006, 22:30
this sounds a bit ridiculous when is the ban anyway? who knows their acting skills may go down the pan lol the ban starts in summer 2007!
the reason why they cant smoke on set is because your not allowed to smoke in a public place which includes work places

Rain_
03-05-2006, 10:15
If i was an actress i would want the reality to come into force here. The ban does not include smoking in ones homes. Depends how realistic they want the show to be.

Florijo
03-05-2006, 10:51
It would be realistic for them not to smoke in the Queen Vic or other work places such as the club etc but to have the characters that smoke being able to smoke in their homes. But they can't do that cos their homes are a BBC workplace in real life.

crazygirl
03-05-2006, 12:36
nobody would even notice that dot has not lit a fag up!

Siobhan
03-05-2006, 12:38
nobody would even notice that dot has not lit a fag up!

I think I would.. she is never without one.. I am sure they would have places on set where the actors can smoke as I know a lot of the cast do smoke and it will be hard for them to work long hours without one.. mind you, if they get nicotine withdrawals we might see some explosive acting

dddMac1
03-05-2006, 15:28
i'm all for the smoking ban but this is going to far

Pixie
04-05-2006, 02:08
i think it's good as if they allow the characters to smoke in their "homes" they will be breaking a law which doesn't exactly send out a good impression. If people don't see tv/film characters smoking it may discourage more youngsters from starting the habbit in the first place